Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What is Going ON!

Ok. I told myself after yesterday that I need to NOT talk about snakes anymore. I need to move on. I need to wear my cowboy boots at all times when I am outside, yes, but still...move on already.
Then Ole' Del calls. Del is our friend and helps move cows quite a bit. He is an all around good guy.
Seems that Del helped John and Cole move pairs across the Werner Pine yesterday and into Shafers. I knew the basic plan. I knew my fellas left real early to beat the heat and I also knew we were experiencing more humidity than usual so even though it was early and a "cool" 65 or so....it was an oppressive morning.
When I saw John after I got home from work....his comment was that it didn't go that well. That's it. "Didn't go that well."
John left when it cooled down a little to do some more chores and Ole Del called. Just to give John and update about George. George is Del's horse. Del says, "Just tell John that George was snake bit." WHAT!!!!
Now Del is much more of a conversationalist than my hubby and he went into detail about the incident. Seems they were at the end of the ride that "Didn't go that well" according to understatement champ of the year - John, and they b0th heard the snake but never saw him bite George. They were both suspicious of a bite but neither of their horses really reacted and George seemed fine.....just maybe a little sore. But, you know, George is getting on in years and he wasn't that sore. By the time Del got him home...about 20 minutes later.....his leg was swollen very tight and George was not putting any weight on it and he wasn't feeling too good. Frankly, I wasn't feeling too good either!
So, Del called the vet, described the "incident" and she said it sure sounded like a snake bite and told him to give George Dexamethasone, start him on Antibiotic and Butte (not sure how it is spelled but that is how it sounds) for the pain. She said it shouldn't kill him but he would be sore a while. YIKES!
So.....John came home later and I said, "Did anything really bad happen on your ride that 'didn't go so well this morning'?" No he replied. "Are you sure?" I don't think so he replied again.
I say ,"Del called and George was SNAKE BIT!!!"
John said, "Oh yeah, we heard a snake."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a Dex & Tell snake story if you're up to it. If you'd just rather not hear it, I understand. I'm not particularly fond of spider stories, so I don't want it to seem like I'm adding insult to injury.

All About Ann said...

Go for it. Maybe I am in need of all this desensitization!

Anonymous said...

Okay, here it is, but I have to tell you this story is a LOT more funny when the boys are telling it.

The boys & Grpa were fencing some CRP. Dex grabs a short (3 ft) cedar tree to cut it out of the old fenceline when he hears a noise. Grpa is talking to Tell and no one is paying attention to him, but he aska anyway, "Hey, is that a locust?" Continuing to be ignored - and still standing next to this tree, he asks again - louder. He finally gets Tell's attention, but Tell says he doesn't hear anything, so "shake it again." He does. The buzzing starts up again and Tell says, "That's a rattlesnake." Grpa, finally realizing no one is listening to him says, "What? What's going on?" (He's a little hard of hearing.)

They killed the snake which also has its own funny story, but you need to hear that one from them.

They killed another rattlesnake after dinner that same day.

Apparently CRP is another term for snake refuge, because while Todd & Tell were fencing that same patch a week later, Todd stepped on a snake. That one got away.