Monday, July 28, 2008

Looks Bad, Tastes Great

This should be called Looks REALLY Bad, Tastes REALLY REALLY Great.
I'm not kidding....and I almost didn't even try it.

A few years ago we went to our cousins to watch a football game. It was us, them and a young newly wed couple. We all brought snacks.

Angela, the newly wed wife, brought this dip. It looked....really really bad. If I had been in the kitchen by myself I would have given it a very wide berth. But, I was not alone. Angela and Penny were both there. I felt I had to try a little. I tried really hard to keep it on the down hill side of my plate so it wouldn't run into anything else cuz there was absolutely no way I was going to try it. My plan was to eat most everything, then sort of stir it around and announce how good it was without ever getting it close to my mouth. My plan failed. I was under constant surveillance. So I did the only thing I could. I tried to anesthetize my mouth with super hot salsa then I took a little dip on a chip and choked it down...but wait....something was pretty tasty. Could it be the dip? A drink of coke brought my mouth out of it's hot salsa coma and I took another chip and loaded it with a little more dip. Terrific. I loved it. Next trip was totally all Looks Bad, Tastes Great dip and chips.

Here is the recipe.

1 can of corn drained
1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
Green onions and tops chopped
Bottle of ranch dressing
Garlic Salt
Cumin
Red Peppers

Mix it all together and refrigerate.
Serve with Tortilla chips

This is one of those dump recipes....so just experiment with the garlic salt and cumin. But I would say at least 1/2 tsp each. Cumin is a strong one so don't go too overboard unless you know you really like it.
The red peppers....well the little package of red pepper that you get with your to go Pizza Hut pizza is just the right amount.
The Ranch dressing. I don't think it takes the whole bottle....just cover the rest of the stuff and stir it up. This is one of those that tastes better the next day but at my house....it is all gone before you get to the next day!
If you try it let me know if you like it as well as I do.

2 comments:

Alaskagirl said...

Sounds like a tasty dip! Have we had it at your house before? I bet Miah will like it. I will try it and let you know.

All About Ann said...

Hmm...you might have. I make it in spurts. Football season usually brings it out for sure.