Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Plan

I talked to Dr. Hemstreet's nurse yesterday.
The MRI showed a huge mass on the right kidney (which we knew) a cyst on the left kidney that will need to be explored a little more to see if it is a problem or not, and a spot on the liver. The Brain CT was normal. So....they will plan to do surgery on August 1st to remove the right kidney and mass. I am assuming they will biopsy the spot on the liver and the cyst on the left kidney at that time. The nurse wasn't sure and said we would have to ask the Dr.
Dad will have to do chemo afterwards.
We will go down for appointments on the 31st starting first thing.
The nurse said that usually a patient would be in the hospital two days following a surgery like that, depending on how Dad was doing.
We will meet with the Oncologist on the 31st so we can get a better feel for what is going to be needed, and hopefully to get it set up to do in Kearney.
It's nice to have a plan. It isn't going to be a lot of fun but I have felt that we were in limbo all summer waiting to know what the plan is. So this is improvement.
The great thing is that Dad is not really feeling bad physically.
I will update from the Med Center, if I can, after he has surgery.

No comments: