Thursday, July 24, 2008

John's Party



My husband came up with a party idea. He does this sometimes and usually it will go away and everything will be fine. But this time....he told someone outside the family, had some accountability and we had to go through with it.

I don't mean to sound like it wasn't a good idea...cuz it was and I am not doggin' his ambition cuz I'm not....but I have lived with the guy for 20 years now and I know how he operates.


Here is the cycle....Great Idea....Planning/Brainstorming....Getting Nervous.....Getting Busy with Life....Deciding He Has NO Business Planning a Party.....Cancelling Party Idea.


The cycle is a closely held family secret and I would never even bring it up....except this time....he broke the cycle.....no.....he SHATTERED the cycle.


It was actually a very good idea, which most of them are and perhaps the greatest difference from all the rest of his party ideas is that it wasn't at our house. That is pretty much a deal breaker cuz someone is going to need to mow and the chickens should probably be contained and we should really fix the siding where that tree fell into the house last summer and the pigs are sort of stinky right now and if the wind is not just right then the aroma (?) might be offensive and....the list goes on and on. Valid concerns and excuses all.


This time....the setting was at the church yard. John planned volleyball, grilling, slip and slide down the hill, and a photography contest.....with rules....lots of rules. Impressive plan.


It was really a fun party. Good job John! The weather was iffy but we all were able to eat, play some volleyball or horseshoes and the kids slipped and slid all evening.....until the lightening started and the snake showed up.

Yes, I said snake. I am completely weary of them now. I don't understand why this is happening to me. The lightening started in the west and I told John he should go shut down the slip and slide and he said that he thought the snake that was trying to get to the slip and slide had pretty much shut it down. WHAT!

So with a thunderstorm moving in we all scurried around and put things away and headed home. Cole and I were both in the photography contest so I will post some pictures over the next couple of days. Cole even got one of the snake....in case you care, it was a gopher snake. Whatever. Might as well have been a cobra. They can all party elsewhere thank you very much!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, an actual picture of a live snake - being held in some crazy person's hand, I might add - on your blog! Way to overcome your fears.

All About Ann said...

That's a SNAKE!
Just kidding.
I am just beaten down...how many days in a row has it been now with another snake sighting/story. My paranoia is out of control. Every stick I see, every bug I hear, every time I go outside....I feel they are just lying in wait to scare the pants right off me. I am not ok. I need serious help.
I will not come out of 'high alert' status until the snow drifts. Pathetic.

Anonymous said...

It does seem like you've been bombarded with "S"-word sightings lately. I'd be a little jittery, too.

About my particular "S"-word phobia - did you know if you put hedge apples around inside the house, it will keep spiders away? Hildebrandts have hedge apples right along the road and I'm fixin' to stock up and see if it works! (I have no idea what a hedge apple actually is, but I'm pretty much in favor of them.)

We picked chokecherries today and I was only freaked out once by a spider encounter.