Saturday, July 26, 2008

Cleaning up

When I started this blog a couple of months ago....I had NO idea that I had so much to say! I am not saying that I really have anything important to say....just a lot.

Anyway, I was reading back through my posts because I know I have occasionally said "I will talk about that another time" and I wanted to clear up those stories that have been keeping everyone in suspense. :)

So today I will FINALLY talk about the number 21.

21 is my favorite number. It has nothing to do with the drinking age. First of all I am not a drinker and second of all the drinking age was 18 until I was in 8th grade and 21 has been my favorite number since I was 11 years old.
Just as an aside. The only reason that I remember that the drinking age changed when I was in 8th grade is because my neighbor, who gave me a ride home from school a lot, was about to turn 18 and he had been counting down until he was legal.....and the law change set back his clock by 3 years. He was not a happy camper.
As another aside I just read a study this week that the change of drinking age is approximated to decrease under age drinking and driving deaths by 11 percent a year since it became a law. That is pretty significant I think.

Back to 21. I was in sixth grade at A-M. The senior quarterback on the football team was Benny Gilligan. His number was 21. I really liked Benny Gilligan. His mom and my mom were friends and we would go to their house and he was always really nice to me. He would put me on his shoulders and carry me around so I didn't have to walk in the tall weeds when we went to the corral. He always said hi to me at the high school when us lowly grade schooler went over there for lunch and....I had his pony - I had bought him in 2nd grade. So....his football number became my all time favorite number and will always be my all time favorite number.

I haven't seen him for years and years but when I was in college, Mom gave his pony back to him for his kids to ride. Old Smokey had to be ancient. He was pretty old when I bought him.

I set my alarm for 5:21 or 6:21 or 7:21....depending on the day of the week or time of the year. Actually I set it for 5:13 cuz I have an 8 minute snooze button and then it will go off again right at the most perfect time....5:21. I have to get up that early during the school year to get to work. Other than the 21 part....there is NOTHING special or perfect about 5:21 am.

I just really like the number 21. I will find ways mathematically for things to equal 21 so that I can declare them special. For instance, John's favorite number is 32. Our first date ever was on September 11th. 32 minus 11 equals 21. We were meant to be.
I know. It reeks of OCD and that is only the tip of the ice berg. I need help. I can think of 21 reasons why I need help. :)

No comments: