Thursday, July 24, 2008

Sheesh!

I made Shish Kabobs for John's Party at the church. I hear that they were good.
I cut the recipe out of the paper insert last week and John has always wanted to try them.
They were really easy. The recipe was from the Deen Brothers....you know, Paula Deen's sons. All you cooking show enthusiasts are now paying attention!

Here is the recipe:

Steak Kabobs with Peppers, Onions and Mushrooms
8 skewers
2 lbs boneless sirloin steak cut into 32 equal sized cubes
2 green peppers, cored, seeded and each cut into 8 pieces
2 medium red onions, each cut into 8 pieces
16 white button mushrooms
1 cup bottled Italian salad dressing

If using wooden skewers soak them in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent them from burning
Build your Kabob's this way: beef, pepper, onion, beef, mushroom, beef, pepper, onion, beef, mushroom.
Place Kabob's in a shallow dish.
Pour Italian dressing over the kabobs and let marinate for 30 minutes at room temp or up to overnight in the refrigerator, turning kabobs occasionally.
Prepare the grill for medium-high direct heat.
Grill about 10 minutes or until the meat is brown and just cooked through, turning occasionally.

Chris liked 'em. :)
Now...the above recipe is the exact one from the paper. I didn't follow it exactly.
I had 9 skewers. But I did soak them in water!
I don't know how many pieces of steak there were and they weren't all that equal in size.
I had a green pepper and a yellow pepper. GASP!
I did use red onion...they are pretty.
I didn't get button mushrooms....but I did get white sliced mushrooms then just put several slices on together.
I didn't mess with the order of skewering. I thought those Deen brothers probably knew what they were talking about and so I never put the pepper/onion as neighbors to the mushroom without a beef buffer. I am not that reckless!
I totally missed the 1 cup part of the Italian dressing and just dumped the whole bottle on.
Other than that....everything was exactly how I was supposed to do it. They were really pretty on the grill and everyone that had one really liked them and several asked for the recipe. So there you go. Try 'em out sometime.

***Pictures by Cole T. D. Copying without permission severely punished. (Cole made me write that.)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: