
Until today, I had been ticketed 3 times that I remember.
The first time I remember was right after we were married and living in Lincoln. John was working at a hog farm south of Lincoln and he liked to wear canvas converse tennis shoes to work. The pair he had was getting pretty frail and I happened to see in the paper that they were on sale. I had just enough time to drive to the hog farm, make sure he wanted me to buy a pair and get the checkbook. With today's gas prices nothing about that plan would make sense....but then we also have cell phones now that would make such a trip unnecessary. Try to remember it was the 80's and cell phones were just something 007 had, couples had A checkbook, and gas was cheaper....much cheaper. Anyway I found John, told him about the price, got the checkbook and was hurrying to Sears to buy the shoes to save a few bucks and I was speeding. Not super fast...but yes, I was speeding. I got pulled over and ticketed. The ticket cost more than 3 pairs of tennis shoes. I was sick. We did not have money to spare at that time in our lives and I felt that I had really blew it. Needless to say, I didn't get the tennis shoes.
The second time was when we lived south of North Platte. I was working in the ICU at the hospital...12 hour shifts that often turned into 14 hours depending on the day. This day was one of those. I needed some work done to the Bronco and John had made all the arrangements. The garage would pick it up at the hospital, fix it and bring it back to the hospital and I would be good to go. Unfortunately we had a very bad trauma come in and myself and another nurse were working furiously to keep him stable until the helicopter could come and take him to Denver. We were hanging blood and infusing it as fast as we could. It was pretty intense....hence the name...Intensive Care I guess. We gave an insane amount of blood products, medications etc all day long. The helicopter was delayed for some reason. I had a couple of calls from the garage throughout the day but I just kept asking the ward clerk to take messages. We didn't stop for lunch and when the helicopter arrived that evening, we stayed to make sure things went smooth. We both had a lot of charting to catch up on and I didn't come up for air until 9 or so. I should have been off at 7. It was dark out and I had a stack of messages from the garage. Seems they needed a part that they tried to get but couldn't and they were loaning me a car and keeping mine. Fine. I was hoping for a real great car. The last message had keys taped to it and the approximate location of the Gremlin (!) in the hospital parking lot. If you don't know what a Gremlin is....just know that it is not a real great car. Whatever, I was tired and ready to go home. I was slightly alarmed by the Box of motor oil in the back seat but she started up fine and we were off. At that time we lived about 25 miles from town so I headed south. I had only gone about 2 miles when I saw flashing lights in my rear view mirror. I pulled over and waited for the policeman to come to my window. I was pretty sure I wasn't speeding....but he asked for my Driver's License and Registration. I gave him my license and checked the usual places for the registration but couldn't find one. The conversation went something like this:
Me: "I can't seem to find it and this isn't my car."
Officer: "Whose car is it Ma'am?"
Me: "I don't know for sure - the garage left it as a loaner."
Officer: "What garage was that Ma'am?
Me: "Ummm. I don't know for sure."
Officer: (incredulous) "You don't know what garage Ma'am?"
Me: (Trying not to cry) "My husband arranged it all while I was at work and I don't know what garage and I don't know whose car this is." (I was pretty sure I was headed to jail at this point)
Officer: "Stay put Ma'am. I will be back."
He went back to his car and got on the radio and looked at my license for a long time. I just sat there and wondered if they would let me call John from jail so he wouldn't worry.
After a really long time he came back, gave me my Drivers License, and told me that next time I should know whose car I am driving. He handed me a fix it ticket for the headlight that was out. A FIX IT TICKET....ON A GARAGE LOANER!!!! Pathetic.
The third time was in 1999. I was headed home to Chadron and took the highway instead of the interstate. I was not super familiar with the road and came around a corner into a little town and BAM...the speed limit went from 60 to 45 and a policeman was sitting right there. He got me. He got me good. I was sure he would check his computer (if that is even what they do) and would see that I am not a speeder...outside of the converse tennis shoe incident in the 80s. I was so certain that he would give me a warning and was SHOCKED when he gave me a ticket...a major ticket with a major fine...over 100 dollars. UGH.
So today was number 4. Again, traveling highway through unfamiliar small towns and again the ole 45/60 problem. Unfortunately, I did not have a current insurance card either. UGH. I was expecting a ticket and a fine. For some reason he gave me a warning and a fix it ticket to get a current proof of insurance. WHEW. He also gave me some advice to be watchful of the posted speed limits. Thanks. I will officer. And thank you officer.
.jpg)


1 comment:
That is crazy! That same thing happens in Upton, WY. The limit changes out of nowhere...and bam, the officer is right there.
Post a Comment