Sunday, March 8, 2009

S as in Silly

I am a big fan of Saturday Night Live skits.
I don't really watch SNL anymore....way past my bedtime and I am old enough now to find most of the stuff a little rank for my taste.

I don't know if it is any worse then it used to be but there must be a developmental stage at midlife that makes you more aware of things. For instance, I used to listen to music that had a good beat and love it no matter what the lyrics were. The Cars - You're All I Got Tonight. Oh Yeah...great beat. The Outfield - Josie. UmmHmm another good one. However both songs are about just ending up with someone because the one you want isn't there. Not a great message.

I know there are still songs with great beats coming out that the kids love and have catchy tunes to them. But I can't stomach hearing Katie Perry's - I Kissed a Girl and I Liked It. But I bet I would have loved it 20 years ago and I also bet I couldn't have told you what the lyrics were.

Back to SNL....the skits. They make me laugh so hard. Some of my favorites over the years are well known classics like the Motivational Speaker that lived in a van down by the river, Charles Barkley playing one on one with Barney the Dinosaur, Nicholas Cage playing an expectant Dad trying to pick out names for their baby....ok that one is a little naughty but oh so funny! Some more would be the girl that got nervous and put her fingers in her pits and smelled them. Yes, gross but oh my....silly and crazy and funny. An all time favorite was Pat. Oh Pat, will we ever know if she/he was a she or a he? We even have a horse named Pat in her/his honor. Our horse is a he. That is a short list of some of my favorites and probably gives you a glimpse into my twisted humor.

The great thing is that the skits on SNL are silly and although they won't make you smarter, they will tickle your funnybone.

For as long as I have been watching SNL, I have been thinking of skit ideas for them. I know that none of them will ever be aired but it is fun to think of ideas anyway.

Most of my ideas come to me when I am traveling in the car and especially when I can't get anything on the radio. If you have ever traveled Highway 2 then you know that there is about 100 miles of no radio except NPR. That stretch of highway has been the place where a lot of my ideas were formed.

My most recent one is "S as in Silly".
The premise is that you are on the phone and trying to get the person on the other end to understand the spelling of your name....like A as in alligator, N as in Nancy etc. But the silly thing is that you use weird words for your letters like P as in Psychology, E as in existential, N as in Knowledge etc. Get it!? Ok, that one might be funnier late at night when you are punchy.

My all time favorite one is "My Boyfriend is Multi-Lingual"
the premise for this one is that you have an air-head girl bringing home her new boyfriend to introduce to her parents. She is so in love with him and wants to help him make an impression on her parents so continues to prompt him to show off all the languages he knows. But when he speaks the other languages he is still speaking English but just uses an Italian, Chinese, Mexican, or German accent. BAAAHAAAHAAAHAAA! This one makes me laugh so hard and John is so good at it! I play the airhead girlfriend and he is the boy friend. Oh my goodness. I can tell you exactly where we were in the car when we made this one up....it was the road south of Rushville headed to Highway 2....and we were in that 100 mile radius devoid of good radio.

There are more. They are silly. They make me laugh. I guess all I can say is thank goodness for dead air once in a while and for the ability to be silly.

No comments: