learning lots of new and fun things and getting a lot of good petting from Del. Teddy is wonderful. I have loved him from the time I found him and I don't think I will ever be able to part with him. This makes John nervous and he feels the need to remind me that all of our horses will be for sale at one time or another. He is such a kidder. This year I bought this little guy. He will be a year old in May. He was born in 2008 and do you remember the naming pattern here? Well, each year has a letter of the alphabet to correspond to it. Some are left out like x and Q and U. This is not a system we made up by the way, it is just what we use. John tags all his cattle with the letter of the year they were born and then their number. For example....all the cows that Sidney just bought were S's. 2009 is a W year and U is one of the ones that is out so if you go backward then V was 2008 (Teddy was born in 2007) and T was 2007. So all of Sid's cows are 2006 models. They are 3 years old. Confused?
Well, it works for us. John names all his bulls by the year they were born and we have carried that through to all of our animals in the past few years.
Well the new horse was born in 2008. UGH. I am just not coming up with a good V name. We had to use Victor and Vinny for the bull calves that the milk cows had last year.....both are good names but there are just not a lot of choices in V. So I am considering going outside the box and naming him without regard to the year he was born. Courageous isn't it.
The name I forwarded to the boss man (John) was Jetson. Yes. As in Meet the Jetsons. I loved that cartoon when I was young. Why Jetson? Well his registered name is Jettin Splashback. So Jet is already a part of his official name.
John shot me down. I'm still mad about it. He had his own name in mind. It made no sense.
So I am back to thinking of V names. Here are some thoughts:
- V-8 - We would call him "Juice" if we don't pick this one we could bonk ourselves on the head and say we should have called him V-8.
- Vern - kind of dorky
but I could really see it working. (know what I mean Vern?) - Visa - like the travel kind...not the credit card.
- Vodka - not bad....most of John's family horses were named after hard liquor. They had Tequila, Brandy, Spirit etc.
- Volunteer - Hmm....I just don't know.
I still really like Jetson. Do any of these names or other V names fit the picture of Jetson...I mean the new horse pictured at the top of this post? Don't you just love his marking on his face? It looks like a conversation bubble from the funny pages...only Jetson...uh I mean "no name" doesn't have any thing to say. Cute.
.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment