I am supposed to finish the sentence "I think it would be good if students learned more________ in school."
Frankly, I don't have a good answer to that. I am guesssing a teacher would have a lot to say about it.....but as a parent I think it would be good if students just plain went to school say 5 days in a row most weeks of the school year! But what do I know.
Speaking of learning however....I am about to become a grad student. I know. Who would have ever predicted that one! My perception of grad students from my undergrad days at UNL are this: poor, book carryin', berkinstock wearin', long hair havin', stressed out students. The main characteristic that I was unable to deftly include in the above description was the fact that they wore socks with their Birkinstock sandals....or Jesus sandals if you will. It did n0t look like anything I was interested in at all. I had the impression that grad school took all your energy and money and fun away.
But now, since I don't have any energy anyway....it seems like a good time to start! :)
I am just going to take one class this summer and if I don't like being a student again....I have given myself permission to turn and not look back. However, if I do like it then I will take one class each semester until I am done. I am starting in the Masters of Science in Organizational Management with the Human Services emphasis. Sounds like a kick in the pants doesn't it!
We'll see.
Why Ann - WHY? Well, that is a good question. The answer is....because I don't use a really great benefit that I am eligible for at work and I feel like a real lazy loser because of it. I am able to take up to 3 classes a year (one in the fall, one in the spring and one in the summer), for a dollar a piece. Yep. You heard me correctly. One little dollar each. Fine print: any fees for the classes are the responsibility of the employee/student. So for one dollar plus fees I can take whatever I want. Pretty cool. I have worked there for 7 years and have taken 2 - yes only 2 classes. Pitiful.
I just signed up this week for the June/July session. I am taking Info Systems for Managers. It is an online class which I am not super excited about but I may as well get used to because a lot of them will be online or at least have an online discussion board. I know the instructor and I really like her so I am excited about that.
Now, if I could just find me a pair of Birkenstocks! Hello? 1985? Can you send me size 9 Birkenstock sandals? Without the big toe loop please....I don't like my sock to be jammed in between the one that went to market and the one that stayed home. Thanks.
Monday, March 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)


2 comments:
Wow! I don't even know what that is! You will do well, whatever it is, and classes are more fun the older you get, I think. Also, you are setting an example for your family....we never get too old to learn, and the more we learn, the more we find out we don't know much!!! Anyway, I always figured it would look good on my obituary. Love, Mom
As a girl who is three months away from completing her masters program, I say "You go girl" As a girl who had to pay way more than $1 a class.............I am trying not to be jealous!
Post a Comment