Saturday, March 14, 2009

End of an Era

Paul Harvey died last week. He was on the radio for a long time and enjoyed by 4 generations of my family. I can remember listening to him at noon at my Grandma Lawlis' house, in the morning at my Aunt Roberta's house and we listened to him at noon almost everyday here. The past couple of years Paul had frequent subs. Some were better than others but even Cole agreed that they all paled in comparison to Paul.

He just had a way....even his ads were special - and effective. John has an Aladdin thermos, touted by Paul. When Paul endorsed something you just trusted that it was going to be a quality product and that it would last. John's thermos is probably 15 years old and although it is dented here and there - it is still in service.

I wonder what they will do with his program. His son was probably my favorite fill in but I have a feeling that unless they just retire the format altogether, whoever takes over will always be just trying to fill some very big shoes.

No comments: