Sunday, June 29, 2008

More Malapropisms

I got the giggles this afternoon when I remembered another classic example of a malapropism.
Red Stegall has a radio show that used to air on Sunday afternoons. The format usually included some cowboy songs (not to be confused with country songs), cowboy poetry and an interview. Most of the time they interviewed someone that has been around a while (old) and lots of times it is an old cowpoke that worked on a big outfit and has tales to tell.

One day the interviewee had grown up on the ranch his Dad worked for then he continued to work for that ranch his whole life. Red asked him about his memories and one of the old cowhands best memories was of rounding up cattle all day then sitting around the campfire at night and "often times someone would just start belching out a song" :) Talented. Cole can belch most of the ABC's but to belch out a whole song...now that would be something.

1 comment:

Lianne said...

I'm not sure this is an official malapropism, but...this type/class occurs often in the recitation of a song. I heard this song today, and thought about you and malapropisms.

There's a song by someone (don't know the title or artist) that has the phrase: "Give me the beat, boys, and free my soul"

I always want to..and sometimes do...say "Give me the Beach Boys, and free my soul!"...you know those Beach Boys...they're so soul-liberating! :)

Does this work, do you think?