
Today was Father's Day. We don't celebrate real big but I did make cinnamon rolls for "Second Breakfast" (John gets up very early, has "First Breakfast" which is typically a Pop Tart and Coffee, then returns after checking cows - just in time for "Second Breakfast"). Cole gave John a homemade coupon for an "all expense paid" movie date......it expires as soon as GET SMART leaves town. Cole really wants to see GET SMART. John...well.....he will go. :)
We got Pizza and took it out to the State Park and both Cole and I allowed John to beat us in tennis. We thought it was only right that he should win on Father's Day.
I called my Dad tonight and he spent the day watching TV and took a nap. That sounded pretty good to me.
When I was a kid we would go to the National Forrest at Halsey on Father's Day and it was basically a Family Reunion with my Mom's side of the family. It was always a good time. The women made a bunch of food, the men played horseshoes and us kids got to go swimming. But....not until an hour after lunch. It was torture waiting for that hour to end! It is probably the single most infuriating memory of my childhood. In fact, I make it my business to defunct that old wives tale as often as possible and I have taken great satisfaction many times as an adult by eating pretty much immediately before swimming. I never cramped up....not once.
I did however nearly drown several times as a child....not because of swimming right after eating....but because I couldn't swim. Perhaps those hours spent digesting would have been better spent in the pool....Learning to SWIM! Sometime I will recount all the near drownings.....but not today.
I mentioned to Dad that we have a Family Reunion on John's side in July and he said his favorite things to do at the Family Reunions was to play horseshoes and Pinochle. My Dad was a pretty good Horseshoe guy in his day. Pinochle....that I am not sure of. Seemed to me that his idea of Pinochle was more about winning the bid then not making meld but discussing with his partner about how they could have won if they had only gotten the right cards. :)
When Cole was about 5 he figured out that there was a Mother's Day in May, a Father's Day in June.....but there was not a day for kids. So we started Boy Day and that usually happens in July or August. We have done things like riding the 1880 Train in the Black Hills, gone to a movie, taken the bikes to town to ride around, and we have gone swimming.....right after eating too......without any negative effects. So there.
.jpg)


1 comment:
You know how sometimes, someone might buy a gift for his/her spouse that he/she actually wants for him/herself? Well...this Father's Day, I got Morgan an ice cream maker. I knew he'd like it...but I also knew that I would like it...and the ice cream it makes! :)
Post a Comment