Thursday, June 12, 2008

Insomnia

For the past couple of years I will periodically have trouble sleeping. This has never before been an issue in my life. I used to be able to sleep anywhere, anytime and through anything. Not so much now. It tends to come in seasons. I have had a decent few months of sleeping aided a teensy weensy bit by Advil PM gel caps. Yep. I have been drugging myself. Shocking, I know.
Well, last night I arrogantly decided that I had no use for the gel cap and that I was doing great and should try to cold turkey it. Not a great idea. I did get to sleep fine at about 10pm. I woke up at 2, 3, 4 and finally gave up and got up at 5. Now, I don't really want to be up yet. My alarm is set for 6:21 (Yes, 21 is significant but that is a post for another day).....but I just couldn't lay there any longer thinking about how tired I was going to be later today if I didn't go back to sleep. Plus, I had made a list in my mind of things I needed to accomplish and I knew if I didn't get up and write it down I would go crazy. So....here I am. Trying to find the joy of the early morning.

Actually it is a beautiful morning. The Sunrise is turning a few clouds shades of orange and pink and the birds are singing. The rooster has been crowing since 4:49 (I am sad that I know that), and there is not even a breeze. It is peaceful and beautiful and....and.....I wish I were sleeping.

This would be a perfect morning to make some coffee and wrap in a light blanket and sit on the deck cross-legged on a metal lawn chair, sipping away and enjoying the peaceful sounds of morning. One problem. I don't like coffee and I think the caffeine may be counter productive to my goal of sleep.

I will look on the bright side....I am getting my day organized, got Dad's Father's Day card ready to send, I have the 4-H animal ID papers out on the bar for John and Cole to see and hopefully remember to fill out today, I am getting some laundry done, and I made a Walmart list.....at the top of the list is.....Advil PM gel caps. I will and can kick the habit some other time....when I am more rested. I can. If I want to. Anytime.

3 comments:

Coleman said...

I have trouble sleeping sometimes too.

Anonymous said...

Try drinking a glass of wine.....I think it would be more fun to be an alcoholic and you meet the nicest people at AA.

Lianne said...

The comments that your mom and Cole leave are as entertaining as your blog. :) Sleep...ah...doesn't that sound nice? Don't you wish you were an "awake" kind of person...I love to sleep...and I get really sad when I don't get my sleep. So...I relate. :) I was up at 5 AM too.. :)