We got some more rain last night. I don't know how much. Our rain guage is up but leans heavily to the east and has a crack in it. But the grass looks good and it is more rain than we have had the last few years at this time so the quantity doesn't really matter I guess. Besides, the neighbors all have guages and they keep us informed.
We have some new chicks coming today. They are Red Stars. It is a crossbred between Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock. We are getting 5 or 6 I think. We have had Black Stars in the past and just loaded most of them up and dropped them off at their new residence down the road, at a neighbors house. She was tickled pink to have some laying hens. I miss them, they are so pretty. But, with the new ones coming and the lack of desire to butcher the old ones....they had to go. Our new chicks have actually been at Del's house (Del is a friend of ours that is retired and loves animals). He has raised them from the furry stage to the feathered stage and now they are ready to come home. Back to Del....he is the recipient of a lot of our animals that we don't have the heart to butcher. He has Ron Stoppable, the Jersey steer that Princess, the milk cow, had a couple of years ago. He originally took him with the thought of making him 1/2 of an oxen team but I think the new plan is to make him into steaks and hamburger. Del also has Sadie, the 1/2 jersey, 1/2 angus calf that Ruby, the milk cow had. I think Sadie is actually going to be a milk cow at Del's house. Then for awhile this spring he had Blondie, the 3 year old mare that looks like a yearling, at his house with the idea of turning her into a cart horse. The dream hasn't died, but we lack a cart and harness at this time so it is on hold for now. Del is a good guy. He and Aleta have adopted our family and we like to be adopted.
I made a dessert for church this morning. Amy Amack is a college girl that started going to church a few years ago. She and Cole were baptised the same day in our creek, along with Angela Rhoades. I will try to post a picture of them....anyway, Amy's mom has had cancer and she passed away last week and today is the memorial service and they are coming to the church for desserts. Amy just graduated in May from CSC and her mom was there and looked so good. What a blessing that she was well enough to enjoy the day. Amy is going to compete for Miss Rodeo Nebraska this month in North Platte and I know it will be hard for her with her Mom not being there. Tough times. She is a real sweet girl. Ok....I tried to add the picture here and for some reason it wants to be at the top of the post...whatever. From the left is Angela, Cole and Amy. I still have a lot to figure out on this blogging deal....I need some help!
.jpg)


2 comments:
Wow! You've been a busy blogger! I can't keep up! :) I love the posts though. And the pretty pictures at the top! Did you take that?
I'm praying for your dad...
Love you!
funniest blog yet...
MH "anonymous blog commenter"
Post a Comment