I am going to Scottsbluff today for a nurse workshop. I am in a real bind with my Continuing Education Hours so I am really scrambling to get them done. Otherwise. I would stay home. Because I am tired from all the travels, fair and procrastination of housework that I have been doing lately. It will be a good workshop though and I have to go so I better just Nurse Up.
Anyway, I am anticipating the dreaded ice breaker. You know, everyone has to introduce themselves and then add something that they are proud of, that no one knows about them, or that is unique about them. I feel so inferior during the ice breaker. I don't feel like a very interesting person. I am always so panicked about what I can say that wouldn't sound idiotic that I totally miss out on what everyone else is saying.
In the past I have used...
"I like to ride horses." - not that interesting.
"My car has over 250,000 miles on it." - not that interesting and not even true anymore.
"I was a Nanny in Maine" - not bad - but have I done anything interesting in the last 25 years?
It is such a weird thing to tell people you don't even know, and may never see again - something interesting "that no one else knows" that maybe you haven't even discussed with your friends.
I could say.....
"I had a wardrobe malfunction similar to Janet's." - that has freak written all over it.
"I have nearly drown on several occasions." - that has loser written all over it.
"I really love malapropisms." - oh yeah - freak AND loser!
(BTW - Mom told me a really good one. Seems my niece is selling raffle tickets for an African! You know - the crocheted throw that is laying across the back of the couch!) :)
So....I am always pretty nervous about the ice breaker deal. I would be happy to tell them my favorite color - blue, or my favorite flower - daisy, or my favorite season - Fall.
What I really need is a list of interesting ice breakers that I could use....they don't have to be true...just interesting.
How about....
"I tried out for the Olympic Swim team."
or
"I made up a new word that was included in the most recent edition of the Merriam-Webster Dictionary."
or
"I once killed a skunk with my bare hands."
or
"I have a prosthetic leg" - and then challenge them to guess which one! :)
See - I just am at a loss here. I don't think I should lie about being interesting. I need to work on that. I will endeavor to get an interesting hobby and/or habit in the next year to use as an ice breaker. In the meantime I will probably continue with the Nanny one. So what if it is a little dusty. It was an interesting time in my life at least. In fact, I think I will blog about it over the next few months....
Monday, August 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)


2 comments:
So are you interested in a raffle ticket for the "African"? Just didn't want to miss a chance to sell a ticket if you were hinting at not wanting to be left out of the raffle! :)
Sidney
I'm good on "Africans" right now. But thanks for asking!
That one really made me laugh!
Ann
Post a Comment