Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Bye Bye ICU

Dad got moved out of ICU this afternoon. He is doing just great. He will probably be in the hospital for a couple more days.

It took them about 24 hours to get him turned around and back on the right track...he had respiratory treatments every 4 hours, oxygen - sometimes by bipap which is like what people with sleep apnea have to use, two units of blood, antibiotic, electrolytes replaced, and lots of great care.

Yesterday he was doing really well and even ate regular food for the first time in a week. I snapped some pictures.


This is Melinda. She was the day shift nurse. She was excellent and was a great advocate for Dad. He had her on the day shift all three days.

I didn't get a picture of his night shift nurse but she was his nurse all 3 nights and was excellent as well. She was in her twenties, had beautiful brown eyes and dark wavy hair. Her name was Annie and she was a real cutie.







This is Steph, she was one of the Nursing Aides. She was really great and young and had the most beautiful smile. I wish I had gotten a picture of her smile.











This is Melinda, the Respiratory Therapist. Yes, his nurses name was Melinda too. How confusing! Speaking of same names....that is how I decided the Bible was true.....a lot of major players had the same names. You don't see that in works of fiction. Pretty good apologetics don't you think? So when I hear someone defending the Bible as truth by saying there were x amount of authors over x amount of years and the themes all stay consistent....I silently add..."and there was more than one Mary, Joseph, James, etc." :) Works for me!
Anyway, Melinda, the Respiratory Therapists job was to give Dad nebulizer treatments and then "massage" the lungs with this jobby. A massage sounds nice doesn't it.....unfortunately that is not a very accurate description.....jackhammering would be more correct. But boy did it break up all that junk and help him get that lung re-inflated and all the crud out. It also jarred him around and aggravated his incision pain.


Dad had lots of great nursing care and all the nurses were young and pretty. He had a male Respiratory Therapist for a couple of shifts...Brad. Brad was very gregarious. In fact, I think he should be named Greg. He just was super outgoing had a real coaching type air about him and joked a lot. Dad accidentally pushed the nurses button once when Brad was in there and my Aunt Millie said, "Oh Rich, you just want to see one of those pretty young nurses." Dad said, "Oh, I don't know about that." And right then in walks:


Klinger! Is that you!?

Nope. It was....

Troy. :) We all laughed and Brad laughed the hardest of all. I thought we were going to have to give him oxygen!

Troy was a Nursing Aide too. He was super good with Dad and was a great visitor. He is from the Missouri (Mazoorah) Ozarks. He has those unfortunate corrective lenses that magnify your eyes. If I was a better photographer....you could get the full effect. Troy was missing a tooth or two but he had a great smile. He had that lazy drawl going on that sounded just like Ernest.

Remember Ernest....."KnowwhadImean Vern?"


You know....this guy.....they talked the same. :) There is a resemblance don't you think?








Anyway, Troy had a tattoo on his right arm too....you can barely see it in this picture. It was an anchor...so I asked if he was a Navy man. He was. But first he went to the Army.....but then he realized he was better at swimming than dodging bullets so he transferred to the Navy and became a medic. From there he was assigned to a Marine unit as a medic. "So I got to swim and dodge bullets!" he said.

I came home last night - got home about midnight and watched Cole show his pigs in the fair this morning.
Dad got moved to a regular room and I just talked to him on the phone and he sounded pretty perky. I expect he will be home by the weekend!

Ahhh.....Milk.....it does a body good!

No comments: