My friend Lianne has a Shelfari Bookshelf on her blog. I do too now. :) I have put up some of my favorites and already talked about Shoofly Pie a week or so ago.
Today I want to highlight Sophie's Heart. It is the story set in modern times of an immigrant who(m) although, very educated, takes a nanny job with a family that has lost their mother/wife.
This was the first "Christian" book I ever read. I have always been a reader. I used to hide under the covers as a kid with my flashlight and read at night when I was supposed to be sleeping. When I was married....I continued to hide under the covers and read with my flashlight because John needs complete and utter darkness to sleep. It gets hot under the covers. Now I read about a chapter before going to sleep each night....outside of the covers. Sometimes John's reads too and sometimes he goes to sleep - contrary to his belief that he needs complete and utter darkness to sleep. But, I am tired so one chapter about all I need anyway....gone are the days of me staying up half the night reading because I just had to finish a story.
Anyway....back to Sophie's Heart. This book is very relational. It is kind of a romance too. I have read most of the Lori Wick books. She tells a good story. Sometimes her characters are unbelievably good at communication. Too good. Unrealistically good. But that is not all bad. Most of us are not good at communication techniques and reading about people that use the techniques well is not a bad thing.
I read Sophie's Heart about once a year and have for the last 10 or 15 years. I have bought the same book about 6 times, for gifts or to replace it after I have lent it out and it didn't come home. It is a book that I will have in my "library" forever.
If you enjoy a good story this is a good book for just about any woman. I don't mean to leave the men out but most of Lori Wick's books are probably going to resonate with females more than males. This book is also appropriate for young women.
Sunday, October 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment