Saturday, October 25, 2008

Homecoming Weekend - Chadron Style

This is Homecoming weekend in a big way here this year. Both the high school and college scheduled their homecomings the same week. I won't say that has never happened before.....but I am not aware of it and has not happened since we have lived here.

It has made for a week of craziness and fun and celebration.

Yesterday afternoon the high school paraded right by the college on their way to the courthouse for their pep rally. I love the sound of a marching band. If I was truthful....it's the drums that I like. It was a nice break to the day and I wish they would march by every Friday afternoon! But why stop there....maybe every day would be good.

Today the college is parading down Main. We are not going to go in to the parade this year but they have a beautiful day for it.

Last night I went to the Wind Symphony concert. I knew quite a few kids in the group and Shoni is playing the Bass Clarinet as a part of that group so she was the catalyst for me to leave my comfy couch for the evening and fore go the Friday night popcorn feast that has become a part of my life. It was a really good concert. They sounded terrific.

I did have a second reason for attending. They were announcing the Queen and King finalists. They have about 80 representatives as the Homecoming Royalty....it is a big group. Each club or organization on campus nominates candidates. It was a really nice field of really good kids. Kurty was one of them. He was nominated by the Wildlife Club....although he doesn't really maintain a wild life....:) So....I wanted to go see Kurty all dressed up and parade across the stage. They didn't do it that way. They just came in and sat down and before the last concert song they announced the 8 finalists. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get a picture of Kurty all spiffed up and on display. He wasn't one of the finalists either. Oh well. It was still a nice night.

The high school won their game last night....by a LOT. They are undefeated and should be headed to the playoffs. The college plays today and they should win too. They are not undefeated but are really good as well this year and should make it to playoffs too. Both teams are quarterbacked by McLain brothers. That has drawn a little press let me tell you.

I think we will head in to the college game this afternoon. And we will prime our football lovin' pumps by watching the Huskers play later this morning. Hopefully we will watch the Huskers win!

No comments: