Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Flu Shots!

Today was the opening day of the Flu Shot season - at least in my office.

I have had people calling me since September 1st about when I was going to start offering Flu Shots! I have been dreading it for weeks. In fact I had nightmares about it all night long and didn't really feel rested enough to enjoy opening day.

But, it didn't turn out to be bad at all. I advertised that I would do a clinic from 1 to 5 this afternoon in my office and I only had 3 there by 12:45. My work study girls had made copies of the paperwork and we had a pretty streamlined deal going on. I was the lone ranger until 1:30 when Alyssa, my freshman work study, arrived but I got along ok. We were busy most of the afternoon and I did 30 Flu Shots this afternoon. Not bad.

I did have a funny thing happen though. The cost this year is $15.00. I can't handle credit cards so it has to be cash or check. One young man came in and got his shot then was getting out his money to pay and had a five dollar bill and he was rifling through his billfold and became chagrined and said "I thought I had a ten in here too." He pulls something out of his pocket and says "Will you accept this?" It was a roll of quarters. Yep. Worth ten dollars. Now there's something you don't see everyday! We all know his mama sent those to him to do his laundry so he wouldn't bring a heaping odorific basketful of laundry home with him this weekend. She is about to be disappointed.

Anyway, I survived and it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated.....just like getting a shot I guess. I will hold 4 more clinics this month and then we will see where we are at as far as vaccine supply. I only have 150 doses this year so they won't last long at all.

I guess I would be remiss if I didn't try to encourage you all to get a Flu Shot.

So....get a Flu Shot...unless you are severely allergic to eggs.

And for pete's sake.....wash your hands and cover your coughs!

No comments: