Saturday, April 4, 2009

Weekly Blizzard Report

Well....our weekly blizzard is here.

I have no idea how much snow we have gotten but a goodly amount judging by the height of the snow on the patio furniture. The wind is blowing it around but the visibility is not as bad with this one.

John took the pickup to the south place this morning and got stuck. He rode the 4-wheelie back home.....2 or 3 miles. Brrrr. He said it isn't that cold out and I see the thermometer is around 20 but still.....I wouldn't have survived. He just doesn't get as cold as the average bear.

Cole went with John in the tractor after lunch and they unstuck the pickup and fed the cows. John brought the tractor home and Cole brought the pickup home. It really is better if the mother finds these things out after the fact.

Cole has rescued a batch of kittens and brought them into the mudroom. He put a towel in the bottom of one of my laundry baskets and brought in their mother. They look very comfortable as house kittens. Although I am fairly certain that they were pretty comfortable in the square bales stacked in the quonset. But you just don't want to challenge decisions made by the Cat Manager. And....they are tiny and cute.

I watched the movie "Spanglish" this afternoon. I really love that movie. My favorite line is when the grandma has a heart to heart with her daughter about some really bad decisions she is making and the daughter accuses her of making her feel bad and the grandma says "Honey, lately your low self esteem is just good common sense." :)

My fellas will soon start asking me about what I am cooking for supper. (sigh) I can't help but fondly recall the great meal we had at a new steak house in Hay Springs a week or so ago. Mom and Gary took us out to supper. Cole was not excited. He likes to go to places that he is familiar with. On the way over he asked what kind of food they would have at the steak house. I answered "Uhhhh.....steak." He wanted more specifics so I just listed the usual steak house fare:
"Rib Steak. Chicken Fried Steak. Sirloin Steak. T-bone Steak. Hamburgers. Chicken Strips. Shrimp. Sal.." I was going to say salad but the boy interrupted me by saying. "Ok Mom. You had me at Chicken Fried Steak!" Funny. I am pretty much "had" at 'someone else is cookin'. That is good enough for me.

However, this week's blizzard is guaranteeing that there will be no going out to eat so I better get a plan before too long.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you remember when you got the pickup stuck and you and Tim were pulling it back across the road? The patrolman stopped and made sure all traffic stopped until you got across......I don't think either of you had a license, but maybe Tim did. I am sure the patrolman knew or suspected this, but he didn't ask. Love, Mom

Jan said...

I've not seen Spanglish. I do like "Return to Me." Great music. Snow days are great quilting weather at my house.

Tell brought in our barn cat for some milk. This, after we just watched a mouse jump down from the undercarriage of the car recently and zip across the yard to the shed. I'm thinkin' the cat is not keeping up his end of ranch mainentance. And we reward him with MILK?

Ditto on the "someone else is cookin."

Keep warm!