Friday, April 3, 2009

From the Nanny Files - Saturday, June 23, 1984

I am blogging entries from letters that I wrote to John when we were dating
and I was in Maine being a nanny.
If you want to read them from the beginning you can click on
"Summer of 84" and scroll down to the first post.
______________________________
I had to be back to Rockport by 8:30 this morning because Susan was going to watch Carl in the sailboat races. But she didn't go. Chloe goes to camp tomorrow for a week so Susan wanted to stay home today and get her ready for that.
Chloe and Morgan and I are going to riding lessons. I am taking one English riding lesson. They cost $10 a lesson. Susan is paying for my first lesson just so I can see what it is like.
I finished my laundry this morning - it took me a week for two loads!
4pm - We just got back from riding lessons and we've been there since 10:30 this morning! I didn't like it at all. I didn't know what to do - the saddle and bridle were weird and my horse (Ivan) was fat and we had to ride around in a dusty ring for an hour! My stirrups felt too short but I guess they are supposed to be that way. I wasn't very good at English riding. I have always been told to keep my seat in the saddle and all of a sudden I am supposed to bounce. A lot.
The barn wasn't as nice as I thought it would be but there were lots of horses. Chloe had a lesson at 11 and 1. Mine was at 1 also and Morgan had hers at 2. That is why we were there all day long. It was kind of boring. I am used to just taking my horse and going wherever I want to go.
Chloe is a really good rider especially for 10. She should be jumping by Fall. Now, that would be fun!
I have pretty much concluded that no one wears a bra here. Even our aerobics teacher didn't and we did a lot of jumping and running. (She did a lot of....bouncing.)
8pm - Carl just got home and his boat got 2nd! That's pretty good! The team that won cheated kind of - but it was all for fun and didn't really matter. It took 3 to 4 hours to sail and Carl's crew got ornery and threw his pants overboard!
The girls and I played tag tonight then we played on the swings. We had con-on-the-cob for supper. One of Susan's friends was here for supper and she commented on how good the corn was. She said she drove through Nebraska once and all she seemed to see was corn! She thinks we eat all that corn. I didn't want to embarrass her - so she still thinks that.
"Oh disgusting!" is Morgan's favorite saying with "Gag me with a crab!" a close second.
Chole has a boyfriend that she is "half-way" going with. I think that means that she is and he isn't.
Last week one day we were driving down the street and a boy waved and yelled "Hi Chloe". She almost had a coronary. She said he is the cutest boy in the 6th grade! So when she got home she called at least 4 of her friends and each conversation started out with..."you will NEVER guess what just happened..." It was funny.
I am going to have a really hard time leaving these girls in August. They have become just like little sisters to me.

No comments: