Sunday, March 28, 2010

Home Improvement Update - March

Ok. I have some pictures but since I am not able to locate my USB camera cable....they are trapped on my camera for now.

But if I were able to post pictures you would see...

  • the walls in the living room and hallway to the laundry area are all done....mudded, taped texturized and painted.
  • that I chickened out on painting an accent wall a darker color.
  • that I passed the point of no return on the flooring when I took a box cutter to the carpet and cut it out of the hallway completely and out about 2 feet from the living room walls so I could get the mud, tape and paint all the way down to the floor.
  • that I have a one 12x12 ceramic tile sample that I move around here and there to look at in different light.
  • that we have put up the blinds in the big living room window and that they are identical to the blinds in the kitchen.
  • that I bought some curtains from JCPenney and have a valance on the hallway window and two panels on the patio doors.....but that I don't like them and am going to return them.

So that is pretty much where the project is at and where it will stay for awhile.

I did just order some vertical wood blinds for the patio doors that match the other blinds and I am pretty happy with that decision. I will still need to make some decisions about curtains but am thinking that I may just make them when I find some material that I like....we will just have to see about that.

So....the next step (after the hanging of the vertical blinds) is to finish the mudding and taping in the hallway/laundry area all the way to our bedroom door and to pull up the hallway carpet all the way to our bedroom door too. This is a project that will wait for summer when I can get a stretch of time to just get after it and get it done.

The step after that is all about flooring. I am pretty committed to the ceramic tile but still very uncertain of my ability to lay it. I think John and I can do the sub flooring part just fine...but the tile part with all the steps and curing times and designs and cutting.....AHHHHH! But I think that in order to just get over myself, I need to have a professional come out and give me a bid on what it would cost to hire it done....I think that will be just the motivation I need to carry on and go forward with laying the tiles ourselves.

I have a long list of summer projects. I think I may run out of summer before I run out of things to cross off my list but the great thing about this project is that once it is done....it will stay done. That is always a good feeling. I will post some pictures as soon as the USB cord surfaces!

1 comment:

ProudMom said...

Wow! You've been busy! I still want to see pictures though...do you have an SD card reader on your new computer? You can use that to transfer pictures from your SD card to your computer...Are you going to ceramic tile the whole living room and hall and everything? How exciting!!