Monday, March 22, 2010

Turkeys

We have had a decent sized 'herd' of turkeys this winter. I couldn't think of the group name for turkeys...



John had to feed more hay than usual with the snowy/icy cold conditions and the turkeys stayed close by where he was feeding and would eat the hay as well.








They are funny little things. You can about set your clock by them. The pretty much travel the same trail and predictably would got through the yard mid morning every day.

I don't understand why a predator wouldn't just camp out by their little trail and pick one off each day....but for some reason or other...that doesn't seem to happen. They lollygag along like they have no cares or fears and the size of 'herd' stays pretty constant.

Max and Rex like to let the turkeys get almost through the yard then bark at them and make them run and try to fly away. I must admit that watching a turkey try to fly is pretty amusing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about flock? Or it is a gaggle of geese, so maybe a taggle of turkeys! I just about hit some this morning on the road....then they would have been a tangle of turkey...oh well. Herd is nice.