Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Man of the House

I realized today that I did not include any pictures of John (except the group around the fire) in Cole's Birthday post.


He was there....and I have the proof.
This is my man, locking up the cabin for the night and making sure the door chain was firmly in place. He is the family protector. In fact, yesterday afternoon, long after the party was over, and we were back at home....I sent Cole to the basement/cellar to get the ice cream. Mitch soon came into the kitchen and told John that Cole needed him in the basement and that it was an emergency. When John came back from rescuing our boy, I asked what the emergency was and John's response was..."you don't want to know". That of course could mean only one thing....a snake. Great. Now we have to move.
Later Cole told me that it was a baby bull snake or gopher snake and that John had killed it and the cats had ate it. Sorry for the graphics....that is how it is here....it is harsh and cruel and sometimes things die and get eaten. Anyway....John is the family protector.
Here he is tending the fire on Saturday morning....it was a beautiful yet brisk morning.
He got up early and went to get coffee. I don't drink coffee and although the cabin had a coffee pot and coffee filters....I had forgotten to pack any coffee. Sorry Juan. He was ok with it. He actually went on home to "check things" and made his own coffee, in his favorite red travel mug, and got back in time to eat donuts with us and hang out some more. Check out his retro adidas.....I had the exact model for Basketball in 1983. :)
He and the boys took the bikes for a spin while I joined the spiders for a shower.
They took the 'Big Loop' which is very long, very scenic, very hilly, and very fun.
Mitch told me they broke the 25 mile per hour speed limit....he was sure of it.
Great.
This picture is at the end of the ride.
Yes, the bike is pink. Real men ride pink bikes don't you know?
Later the boys and I took the bikes to the paddle boat area. We took 4 bikes to the park....but the first night old blue broke his chain so we were left with only three bikes for four riders.
John elected to stay home and enjoy the morning by the fire with his coffee.
But soon he showed up at the little lake.
"Ann? Do you think you can get the bikes into the van or do you want me to put them in the pickup...cuz I gotta go show a guy some cattle?"
Oh....well, sure....we could surely figure it out right? Ummm. I decided three bikes would be a lot to fit in the back of the van but two might just be ok. So John took old blue and the pink bike and left the boys' bike for us to deal with. It was quite a puzzle but we did get it accomplished.
The thing is....he would have totally come back out and loaded them up if we needed him to. He is just that kind of guy. Retro shoes and all.

No comments: