Friday, September 5, 2008

Dame!

I will remind you now that I am not a cusser....but this post is about cussing....sort of.

We have 25 new international students this semester. When I was in college they were called "foreign" students....but I guess the PC term is "international" now. Whatever. They are from a different country and almost always really delightful. Hmm...delightful. I don't think I have EVER used that word in a sentence before. But....it is a good description of the international students.

Anyway....I get to know most of them right off the bat because they need shots and I am just the woman to give 'em to them. One of the students from eastern Europe was in my office last week and needed 3 shots. He was not excited and although he did well....he did say something under he breath that I didn't really catch. I just sort of ignored it cuz I wasn't even sure it was English.

He said "Is dame a bad thing to say?"
I, being my extremely helpful self, said, "Well, not really a bad thing to say but it isn't really used that much anymore....and when it was used it was probably not the most respectful term for a lady."
He looked confused then said, "But I hear people say it all the time."
I said, "Really? How is it used?"
He said, "You know....like....Dame! I have a lot of homework....or Dame! I locked my keys in the car!"
I said, "Oooohhh.....short vowel sound a. Ummm...that's a swear word and you will hear your peers use it a lot but it is probably not something that is appropriate to use around faculty or staff or adults." I tried not to laugh.
He was very contrite and said "Oh, so sorry, I did not mean to offend."
I assured him that I was not offended and went back into my little cubby hole of an office.

Ever since that day, I catch my self saying silently....DAME! I have a LOT of work to do.

3 comments:

Lianne said...

Ha! I love these stories! Your international student stories are the best! Remember the one who said, "Oh, then drink alcohol occasionally and eventually!". Gets me every time!

Jamimania said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jamimania said...

Sorry about the delete... I mispelled a word and didn't want anyone to think I'm a dummy. :) anyway...

Hi! I'm Jami, Morgan and Lianne's sister-in-law from Kansas. I accidentally clicked on your link on Morgan's page but the title of this post got my attention so I decided to read it. :) That's a cute story. We had a German exchange student living with us last year and they say the most hilarious things! Some of my favorite things she said were: "Christmas man" for Santa, "Man chicken" for a rooster, "There's an animal in our bedroom" - it was actually a moth. There are so many other funny things... she needed to buy some "girly products" at Wal-mart and was totally overwhelmed by the selection. Apparently in Germany you have only one choice, needless to say it was a really funny exchange that we had going on - but I won't post the rest here so as not to offend, maybe your male readers? ha ha. Any woman would die laughing about it though.

So that's cool that you get to spend some time with the international students, they're so much fun!