Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Happy Day


On Saturday Cole and I loaded up and drove to my old stomping grounds.


The objective was to visit my Dad. It was his 74th birthday!


My Dad bears a pretty striking resemblance to Clint Eastwood. Unfortunately we never got a picture of him without his hat! So just picture in your mind...Clint with a cap pulled down over most of his face. Yah, you see it now don't you.....umhmm....pretty freaky!

I had not seen Dad since my baby brother's funeral at Thanksgiving time.

So.....it was beyond time to do so.

John got home at 2am that morning.....he had gone to see his Dad and help him brand! It was a family weekend I guess. We just couldn't coordinate our schedules to car pool this time.


It was a beautiful day for driving. We got to Dad's about 3pm and visited a while.


I asked if he wanted to drive up to my oldest brothers (only about 10 miles away) and watch the "kids" plant corn. (Above Tim and Sam)
My nephew Sam and niece Sidney are in FFA and my brother donates some acres to the group to plant a test crop of corn on. Last year was the first year and they hit it big time! They averaged 147 bushel an acre on dryland corn. Amazing.
Above - the test plot.

Above - getting ready to change seed corn types. They had to vacuum out the boxes on the planter and put in a different type of corn each pass through the field.
Get this.....the tractor had satellite photos of the field to work off of and would adjust based on the data for depth of seed, amount of fertilizer etc. Amazing.....and I can't find where the wall stud is most of the time! Who thinks this stuff up?


Sidney and Tim's new puppy "Pete".



Tim and Sam trying to figure out the mower.....where is the smart techno ag inventor now?




And this.....was a delicious cake made by my Sis in Law, Carolyn. Somehow she escaped the camera....next time....she won't be so lucky. She made us Spaghetti and salad and tasty garlic rolls and this cake. It was mighty tasty.
After supper Cole and I took Grandpa home and went on to Kearney to see some family there.
We stayed with Teri, John's sister, and got to see how the new house is progressing. It is going to be amazing. I can't wait to see the finished product!
It was a quick trip but we got to see lots of family so it was worth the road weariness for certain.







No comments: