Friday, May 15, 2009

Kitchen Update - Part III (includes bonus material)

Are you sick of this project yet?


I know I am!


This update should about catch us up to speed since nothing has really happened for a week or so and there are no immediate plans to work on this project. Oh no....it is not done.....it is just on ice for awhile.



Teaser: Crazy moments 2 AND 3 are included in this post.



Ok. We left off with a flurry of activity culminated by most of the cupboards being put up. And....Grandma Johnny had arrived!
When we got things as cleaned up and put away as we could. I started to fret about what color to paint the walls.



I really wanted to be bold.



I have friends that have picked great colors to showcase their houses. I tend to be safe. I tend to go neutral. I tend to like my husband who likes white plain walls with nothing hung on them.


So. I went to the Hardware Store and brought home a bunch of different sample colors.




Crazy moment number two is coming up....is related to paint color and is multi-faceted.


I stuck colors up around the kitchen and really wanted to match one or more of the colors in this rug......this is a rug I bought from Walmart. It is just inside the door. I only have this one even though I went back later to buy a smaller one like for in front of the sink. They were not carrying it anymore. So part of crazy moment number two is that I was trying to match a rug from Walmart that probably won't last til the end of the year! Get a GRIP already!



I was also trying to pick something that wouldn't clash with my country blue checked curtains. Even though they are 10 years old and homemade....out of a sheet! Please....I really need help!


I puzzled and stressed over the paint for a day or two. I finally decided to do a two tone approach (bold move) and I settled on Off Shore Mist for the wall behind the cupboards and Persevere for the other two walls. If you saw the walls you would immediately call the colors by beige and taupe! And I thought I was being risky! Another part of crazy moment number two...fretting so much over the paint then going with beige and taupe. AND still feeling like that was unique until I went to the bathroom and realized that it was painted taupe and went to the mudroom and realized that it was beige with taupe rag painted over the top. SHEESH. Exactly how deep is this rut I am in?




The colors appear a little darker here then they are in person. I just wanted to show the contrast of this corner which will eventually be covered up by the big over the frig cupboard.


Crazy moment number two was a real doozy.



Grandma Johnny and John and I put the primer on and it looked real good. It was just white but for the first time we could really envision what an improvement mudding and taping was going to make in that room. John was all for leaving it primed. :) We put the covers back on the light switches and outlets.....this was crazy moment number 3 or otherwise known as OCD moment. I had put on a few covers and was trying to put on another when I caught myself unscrewing the screw and restarting it several times trying to get it to line up vertically when it was tight! OH FOR PETE'S SAKE! What was that about? I think I was just too tired. What a crazy thing. I had to have a very stern talk to myself.






Grandma Johnny had to go home before we could get the paint on but it turned out pretty nice. It is darker than I had thought but that room has so much natural light it can handle it just fine.














We put up the blinds (2inch wood blinds) and I re-hung my homemade curtains. It looks real nice. I love it.










So what is left?


Light Fixtures...maybe.

Flooring....definitely.

The big cupboard over the frig....absolutely. (Supposed to be here on Monday)


The oak window sills.....yes. (Also supposed to be here on Monday)




Trim around the door.....not on the urgent list....but needed for sure.



A new frig....someday....when mine dies. (I predict it will outlive all of us......great.)



New dining room chairs.....sort of important....ours are holding on by a shoestring but someone is going to take a spill one of these days.




Why do these Home Improvement projects bleed you dry?


You know what will happen right? In fact it is already happening. My eyes wander from the great project that is mostly completed in the kitchen and land on the living room and are extremely dissatisfied with how that looks.
I predict that I will dive into the living room, mudding and taping walls and trimming windows and wanting new carpet and......well it is just never ending!



Don't worry. Kitchen Update - Part 4 is not going to happen soon. Part 1, 2 and 3 have siphoned off most of my Home Improvement savings for the year already. But next year.....look OUT!

No comments: