Saturday, November 8, 2008

Snow Day!

I love snow days! There is a really funny movie with the same title. Lots of preadolescent humor. Perfect for a good silly laugh. It won't make you smarter......but it will make you smile.

Thursday we awakened out of our troubled-by-the-howling-wind slumber to a little snow on the ground and baby snowdrifts in the yard. I started getting ready for work but listened very carefully to the radio the whole time....hoping beyond reason that I would hear that the Chadron schools were closed and also.....Chadron State College. It never happens, but I was still wishing. Lot of schools around us were closed or starting late and the highway south out of town was closed.

John took the little pickup ahead of me out of the driveway to clear a path so I could get the car through....it was nice....but unnecessary....it just wasn't that bad. The highway was snow packed...just typical winter driving so I lost all hope on the way to town that this storm would result in some unscheduled time off.

I did the CSC Clinic and got back to my office about 9:15. There was a little rumor that the administration was thinking of closing campus but I didn't think it would amount to anything so I continued on with my usual day.

The snow was really picking up outside though, and the wind was crazy wild and the radio reported additional road closings. The rumor now seemed to swell and was dispelled quickly as a rumor when my new boss stopped in to say that the campus was closing and we were all to go home! Truth! What a gift! Truly....this NEVER happens!

I called Cole's school to tell them that I would pick him up at 10 on the way home and they had just decided to close as well so great timing.

By the time I put away and gathered up it was 10 and the wind and snow was even worse. I had some real visibility problems on the way to pick up Cole, our little storm had morphed into a real blizzard, but we made it home just fine.

What a tremendous blessing. Honestly. I can't think of a time when I needed a snow day more than I did this week. My whole little family was home and safe, the electricity was on and would stay on, we had plenty of eats in the house and we worked together on the project of cleaning the mudroom. I really really love snow days. :)

(those without power weren't loving it as much - sorry about that)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everyone needs a good snow day now and then. We live for them around here, too. Glad it worked out.