Thursday, January 8, 2009

What Books DON'T I Like!

It was 60 degrees here today. Ridiculous. Wonderful. Unfortunately I was inside at work for most of it, but it was still great and I enjoyed it greatly whenever I had to step outside. Tomorrow is another story....but that is winter in Nebraska for you.

I was looking at my sidebar thingys. I am sure they have a real blogger nerd name but I don't happen to know it. I hope that means that I am not a nerd.

Anywho....I was looking at my bookshelf. I like the bookshelf but it is not nearly big enough for all the books I love. Shoot....my own bookshelf in real life isn't big enough for all the books I love. So I was flipping through the pages of my blog bookshelf and discovered that the Coleminator must have attempted to put a bookshelf on his blog and by some crazy blogger umbilical cord reason....they ended up on his momma's blog. That would be me. I don't have any problem with that cuz I actually have read most of those books and liked them as well.

However, I did do a *whew* when I realized that he had not added one of his all time faves. One of the books that I would actually petition to have removed from all bookshelves everywhere because I loathe it so much.

The book I am speaking about that is at the top of my very short I-really- dislike-this -book - list is....

The Cat In The Hat by Dr. Suess.

I know. I love every other book by the good Dr. I just really really don't like the Cat in the Hat.

Have you read it? That is a bad cat. Those kids TOLD him he couldn't come in the house. He did. He made a mess. He was destructive. The kids were not even having fun. He finally stopped making a mess and then tried to make it all ok by cleaning up....but even then HE wasn't the one to clean up....he used those little thing people. What kind of message is this? I can feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about it!

Of course when Cole was little, it was a nightly request to read this book. After a while I refused.
I could not, in good conscience, sanction such a bad cat.

I hope this is not your favorite book. If so. I apologize for the pain this post must have caused you. If you are interested in removing it from your bookshelf you might consider a really great replacement. Have you read Go Dog Go! It is brilliant. I guarantee that you will like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Dr. S. fav at our house was "Hop on Pop" (I had that one memorized when the kids were little). I was never a fan of Cat in the Hat either. I don't recall any children's book that I loathed, but I do remember a little, idiotic penquin movie that drove me berserk. It mysteriously disappeared one day...

Anonymous said...

Your favorite, when you were little, was the Dr. S ABC Book....Aunt Annie's Alligator...AAA!!!! You literally wore the thing out! At one point in time, I had it memorized, but like everything else, most of that memory has vanished into the old-age-closet.....never to be found again.