Sunday, December 13, 2009

My Friend Karen - Forever Forty-Four

I went to a funeral right before Thanksgiving. My friend Karen had passed away. I couldn't believe I was at her funeral. She was just 44. She had been ill recently but seemed to be on the upswing and unexpectedly she was just....gone.

Karen and became friends in grade school. We went to Anselmo-Merna. She was from Anselmo and had gone to the first 3 years of school there then came to Merna for grade school in the 3rd grade. She was fun. She had an easy laugh and a sweet spirit. She was easily hurt but also quick to forgive. She was easy to be friends with. We belonged to the same 4-H club and I loved to go to her house. She had sheep and cattle and there was always a bum lamb or bottle calf to feed. Karen was the baby of her family and I loved that when we were at her house we never had to worry about pesky little brothers. :)

Karen and her family went to church in Merna at the Methodist Church and I went to Sunday school with her pretty often. Her Mom was our Sunday School teacher at times and also our VBS teacher. Karen's funeral was at that same church and I hadn't been inside since I was 11 or 12. I was amazed at how small it seemed. Isn't that always how it is when you go back to places as an adult.

I met my friend Jolene there. Jolene and Karen and I were all friends....even when I moved to a different town in 7th grade we remained friends. Jolene is my friend that I went to Maine with to be a nanny. Jolene, like me, is not too keen on wearing her emotions on her sleeve. We went into the church and found a place in the back and I was determined to stoically sit through the service. I failed. It was a three Kleenex funeral for me. That is not good. I chewed my Trident so quickly and aggressively that it pretty much disintegrated in my mouth.

I tried to think of other things and happier times with Karen as the song "Flew Up to Heaven" was playing. There were lots of happy times to think about. County Fair....we always had a great time. Karen's folks had a camper and would stay the whole week and we had a tradition that I would stay in the camper one night during the Fair.

In fact the last time I saw Karen in person was at that same Fair a couple of years ago. Her kids were involved and she had carried on the tradition of bringing a camper and staying the week. We sat and visited for quite awhile about everything and nothing. She was that type of friend that you just pick back up with like you saw her everyday. I loved that about her.

We were at each others weddings. She was my personal attendant and I can't remember if I had a job at her wedding but I do know I was in the group that kidnapped her husband. :)

When our kids were smaller Karen and Jolene and I were really good about making a summer date to get together and catch up. We went to Halsey once and took all the kids swimming and had a picnic. We met at Jo's family ranch once and we went to New Helena once. But we had let that little fledgling tradition get away from us in recent years. I suppose our excuse would be, as always, too busy to make it work. That excuse doesn't feel very valid now.

I will miss my friend Karen. She was faithful and true. She was always glad to see you and made you feel welcomed and loved. She was a forever friend.

No comments: