Tuesday, February 17, 2009

From the Nanny Files - Saturday, June 16, 1984

I met Carla (Carl's cousin) and her daughter Kara, 17, today. Carla lives in Spain and is a concert pianist. She is romantically involved with her music partner - he plays the cello. She drinks boiled seaweed. No. I am not kidding. She says she has gout in her hands and it helps with the pain. She also says it is good for her hair and nails. Well. I hate to say it but her hair is wicked frizzy. :)

Wicked is Morgan's favorite adjective and I am trying to insert it into my vocabulary so I can be cool like her. Basically it just really exclaims whatever it is describing. She says wicked bad or wicked cool or wicked good a lot. She is wicked cute. :)

Kara is a little hard to get to know. She doesn't seem all that interested in being friends. I think she seems a little sad....the deep kind of sad that sort of comes out all crabby and prickly. I bet she has had a pretty interesting life.

We are having a BBQ for lunch. I made the hamburger patties and did the dishes as Susan dirtied them. We made a good team.

I wash the dishes everyday - it is usually Carl's job I guess, but I like to do it. It makes me feel like I am earning my keep a little bit. Carl always acts like he was going to do them but I got to them first. He tells me thank you almost everyday. I don't think he minds a bit that he doesn't do the dishes anymore.

I got paid yesterday and I haven't bought anything yet so I am really rich. (FYI - I got paid $50 dollars a week that summer. I had almost zero expenses so it was not too bad.)

LATER.....I am upstairs in the kitchen now. I was watching TV with Kara and the 4 girls...two are sleepovers....but Kara was sort of being hard to get along with so I came up here. We were watching Love Boat. Kara thinks Love Boat is dumb and pointless. She is also very good at pointing out how dumb and pointless she thinks it is. :)

Carl, Susan and some friends went out. I'm supposed to have the girls in bed by 10:30. What kind of slumber party is that!?

After the BBQ today we played kick ball and went to the beach for a while. Then we drove everyone to Rockland to go skating but the skating rink had a sign on the door that said "Only Open on Rainy Saturdays" so we went Miniature Golfing instead. It was wicked fun. I even got a hole in one!

We brought the girls home and played kick ball again. All of a sudden there was a huge swarm of bees over and around us. We ran into the house and the girls were screaming. The bees stuck around in the yard for about 20 minutes. When they left, we went down the the beach and Carl tried to teach us how to skip rocks and we played catch with the tennis ball I found from Wimbeldon.

Finally Morgan and I came up to the house because we got cold.

I think it was a good birthday for Chloe'.

I better go ruin it now and tell them all they have to get to bed!

No comments: