The Nanny Files are entries that I am blogging from letters that I sent to John when I was a Nanny in Maine during the summer of 1984 - over 25 years ago. If you want to read them from the beginning you can click the Summer of 84 link.
________________________________________________________________
Today was very long and I am tired. Morgan went to camp and Chloe and I went to play tennis but we got too hot so we left, went to Ingrahm's store and got some sub sandwiches and had lunch at home.
In the afternoon we went to Shirttail Lake and swam for an hour, came home and cleaned house then showered and packed.
Susan and Carl picked Morgan up from camp and came and picked us up and we all left for Sugarloaf Mountain.
We are going to a friends house for the Independence Day holiday.
On the way out of town we stopped at a little deli type store for Susan to get some appetizers for the picnic tonight. You will never guess what she got! Liver Pate and Smoked Mussels! WHAT! What ever happened to baked beans and chips!
It was a 3 hour drive to get here and I slept for most of it. I have to take Dramamine when I travel now ever since I got so sick on the flight here or else I get really sick. The Dramamine knocks me out.
We are in the mountains now and it is very beautiful. We are staying with Tom and Claudia and their house is really neat. It looks like a mini ski lodge. There is a loft and it is all wood and just really cool. Claudia's son Breckin is here too. He is 12.
When we got to Sugarloaf we drove around town and found Tom and Claudia. Tonight was the night the town celebrates the 4th...instead of tomorrow...which actually the 4th. There were tons of people in the park around the lake. The lake was huge two planes actually took off from the lake while we were there. There were lots of boats out too. Tom had just gotten the grill out and it started to rain. Susan and Claudia ran to the car and wanted to leave - lots of other people were leaving already but Tom fixed things so we didn't have to. He took the sails off his windsurfers and built a tent around the grill and we ate supper. Carl tried to make me eat a smoked mussel but I wouldn't do it.
After we ate, Morgan, Chloe, Breckin and I went walking around...the rain had stopped and there were so many people out and about. There were two guys smoking pot right out in front of everyone and little kids were running around with Beer. Crazy.
Breckin went out on his windsurfer and sailed around the lake. It looked like a lot of fun.
Then....the fireworks started. They were amazing! The covered the whole sky it seemed. At the end of the fireworks, there were a bunch of boats out in the lake that let off some really big ones from all over the lake and the sky was lit up like it was daytime. It was the best 3rd of July fireworks I have ever seen!
.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment