Sunday, November 29, 2009

Cow work

John needed a bit of help moving some cattle around yesterday and help getting a bull out today.
The weather was decent for late November but not all that great for a thin skinned person like myself. I did not properly dress for the task but I did not complain....it would do no good.....we still had to get the job done and its not like I was going to get a ride home to get warmer clothes. Rookie mistake. One I did not repeat this afternoon.
Rex is always ready to go. He likes to sit on the pickup and hope no one sees him and tells him to stay home. It worked this time. He was actually part of the crew. Rex hates to stay home.


We had to round up all the cows from one pasture, move them on the road to the next pasture and make sure we didn't let them tear out the neighbors new shelter belt on the way. Great. I was the protector of the shelter belt. Cows can be so ornery. That is why I don't have any pictures of the cows traveling on the road....I had my hands full keeping them out of the baby shelter belt!



We got the job done and without any problems. The pasture we rounded up out of caused Cole to reminisce about another time we were in there to move cattle...many moons ago. His horse, Kristi (aka Psycho) decided that a log laying on the ground was extremely scary and immediately and quickly went sideways. Cole ended up on the ground with a mouth full of dirt and a root of bitterness for Kristi. Do you wonder why we would let our boy ride a mare that we would sometimes call Psycho? Yep. Us too.



It was chilly but not unbearable. John rode Little Joe Pat and I rode Kitty and Cole rode Cisco. Cisco actually ended up dying a few days later. I know. Weird. John thinks she may have colicked. Not sure. She was not old enough to die from...well.....old age. She was Cole's mount whenever he rode and Kurt's mount when he rides. Sad. She was a good mare and we will miss her.

Rex is now the Numero Uno cow dog and head of ranch security. He prefers his cow dog work much more than the security work. He is not one to stay up all night barking....he needs his beauty rest I guess. We need to get him a puppy to take the night shift.



Are you wondering what is up with Little Joe Pat's mane? It is BRAIDED. For real. :) John doesn't do it though....Kurt's GF Jessa does. I think John secretly likes it. :)








The cows liked the new pasture they got to move in to. They spread out and started eating right away. We didn't have to move them very far.





I really like to help move cattle. I wish I was able to help more often but it was really fun to get to do it these two days....and yes.....I am taking my Ibuprofen. :)

No comments: