Fatty's wife, Susan, died earlier this evening.
I don't know her. I don't know Fatty. But I read his blog and although it is pretty much purely about cycling....as in bicycle riding.....I really enjoy it.
I found Fatty's blog about a year ago. It was linked onto PW's blog.
I started to read it from his archives and didn't read the current ones....I wanted to catch up over time...chronologically. It's the mild OCD thing again. Just ignore it.
So I would read two or three archived posts a day and laugh out loud even though I don't know a thing about cycling except that you should shift your 10 speed while you are pedaling.
Fatty likes to do fake news articles about cycling. They are my favorite.
From the archives I knew that Fatty's wife was my age. Had 4 kids...2 boys and twin girls and had a bout with breast cancer a few years ago.
One night, a few months ago I accidentally clicked onto the current link to Fatty's Blog instead of the archives and the post was all about Susan. She had cancer again. Bad. It was in her bones, brain, everywhere. It had been going on for quite awhile. I was totally in the dark since I had been laughing my way through the archives.
So....there I was at the computer sobbing. Man. You'd have thought she was my best friend. Unfortunately John and Cole were in the same room. Cole noticed that I was crying. "What's wrong Mom?!" I couldn't speak right then. I tried to get it together and didn't quite get my composure back before I responded so it came out as sort of a wailing sob..."Fatty's wife is DYING!"
Both Cole and John looked at me like I was crazy. I felt crazy.
But since that time I have kept current on Fatty. Mostly he talks about biking but there have been several gut check posts that were very honest about what was happening with Susan.
I would think almost anyone alive can attest to the effects of cancer on a loved one. It is so very common it seems. Even at that...we don't ever seem to get calloused to it.
Fatty doesn't have a super large number of readers that comment but there is a certain commenter each time after Fatty would post about Susan that sums it all up pretty well.
His comment would always be short and to the point:
CANCER SUCKS.
WIN SUSAN!
Tonight Fatty asked that no one say that Susan lost. He wants to encourage people to take on a new mantra for cancer.....FIGHT LIKE SUSAN.
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment